Saturday, January 15, 2011

Snowed in...

Georgia is not your typical state to worry about snow, ice, or any other weather that involves extreme cold. Maybe in the mountains up north, but near the big city, not so much.
The weathermen and women had been predicting snow for days, 3-7 inches of snow that is. People shopped, people stocked, people worried, the shelves at the grocery store were empty, the flashlights were out and ready and people planned for the worst. Quite seriously I thought it was silly. Yes, we may get snow, yes it may stay for a day and schools may close, which means Adam would get to stay home with us. But really, what was all the fuss about?

Before the first flake fell, the county schools in my area closed as well as all the ones around us. Shortly after that, still before the first flake fell, Adam's school closed. It was silly, really really silly. Weathermen (and women) had been wrong before, what if NO SNOW fell? It's happened before. they have been wrong. the weather has changed. God is a humorous God, he may have found that quite entertaining. But....they were RIGHT!

Just as I was ready for bed snow began to fall, with in a half hour we had an inch, and it just kept right on falling. I went to bed before it stopped snowing, but we woke up to a cold and wintery wonderland. 7 INCHES of snow in our front yard, you heard me 7 INCHES!





So we played, we laughed, we thought it was great. The following day was going to be even colder and things were going to start to freeze, another day off work for Adam and school out for the public and private schooled kids and the Dept. of Transportation is recommending NOT driving at all. Highways closed, roads are closed, people are stuck in there homes.



School ended up being out for the entire week, it got to the point where going outside with all that ice was more dangerous than fun. My family has been enjoying our time together. Although I have heard others say they are going stir crazy. I guess we are all just used to being together. It's been an unexpected break for us, but it's given us some quality time to spend together as well as a lesson in being sure we have the essentials prepared ahead of time.

I like to get a good deal on groceries. I shop sales and use coupons. I buy enough to last several weeks when I purchase items. I learned that it is a quality the Lord wants us to have. To be able to put warm clothes on our children when the cold hits, and prepare a warm meal for them at all times. Because of the stalking up we do, when the shelves were empty at the grocery store, we were ok, because we had food in our freezer and on our shelves. I was prepared to take care of my family as we waited out the storm. It felt good.

I sit here today, 6 days later, and still see snow outside. The roads are mostly clear and the weather is suppose to be warmer today. Life will be getting back to normal next week for the residents of Georgia. It's been an experience, one that most people will not forget. For our family, we enjoyed the time and took advantage of it.

No comments: