Monday, September 2, 2013

New Addition to School

One of my favorite new additions to school this year is tv shows, movies and documentaries. James is very much a visual learner, we don't always have hands on projects for our History Lessons, so videos have been my best idea yet.
Right now, we have at least 1 scheduled a week to go along with at least 1 of our History lessons each week. I cannot tell you how much this has helped us.
I thought I would give a little run down of great places to find videos for homeschooling.

1. Netflix- it's $7.99 a month and well worth every penny

2. Discovery Streaming through PBS- for Georgians, it is free for homeschooling parents to get an account, you contact them, send in your DOI and they send you an account name and password. I have heard, though, that some states make you pay for this feature.

3. YouTube- two of my kids' favorites are Time Warp Trio shows and Horrible Histories shows. Both are pretty accurate in their history, but with a fun, funny or exciting twist. Both are animated, so for the younger age group. My 4th grade still thinks both are hilarious.

4. Amazon Streaming- If you have an Amazon Prime account, which is a once a year fee of about $50, you can also get Amazon streaming either on the computer, or on your Roku to watch on the tv. We love the 2-day free shipping for birthday gifts and Christmas presents and get our money in return just for that, plus they have hundreds of free movies as well, some you have to pay for, with ones we REALLY want to see, we will pay the few bucks to get it.

We do not have Hulu, but I have also heard really great things about it. I have found websites that give me some ideas on videos for the kids to watch after certain lessons, which has helped me to not have to make my own list. Our spine is Mystery of History, so I use guesthollow.com's list. Some of you may use Story of the World, and I know their are blogs that also have video lists to go along with it as well.

Videos have been by far the BEST addition to our school year! Whats your favorite new addition?

No comments: