Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Our Challenge

We have made a decision. For this day and age, it's a big one. A Doozy, if you will. We have decided to not allow ANY screen time for any of our children for three, solid weeks. I know, I know, you either think I am super-mom, and I assure you I am not, or you think I am a mean mom, that one is a possibility. We have several reasons for doing this. Most of them medical ones for my oldest, who has tics, though he has not been diagnosed with tourettes, I am sure he is at least borderline. For some reason, the screen, worsens them, so, the challenge came about. I don't want to punish them for anything they did wrong, we were pretty good about limiting screen time. The "one-hour-per-day" rule was in effect for video games and then the occasional tv time or movie. It seemed to still be too much.
Then, I had a crazy, spur of the moment idea the night before we were to start our screen free challenge for the children. I think maybe out of a little bit of guilt, but at least this was the good kind of guilt. I decided, to prove it was not a punishment, I think I would call it more of a shift in priorities, I would deactivate my facebook account. WHAT! yep, I said it, and did it with almost no warning to my lovely facebook friends(sorry friends). Since we were taking away something of importance in their lives, I thought I should do the same, thus proving it was not a punishment, maybe.
We started just 2 days ago and I can already tell you I have learned a few things and have a feeling I will learn much, much more as the weeks go on. I don't want to replace facebook with another "screen" thing. So I won't be blogging every day, but I do plan to keep up with periodic updates through my blog. Mostly for those interested in keeping up with how we are doing that now can't do so through facebook.
Day one was Monday (the 10th), my mom was still in town, which honestly makes things a bit easier when it comes to staying away from the screen, because either; she is playing with them, we are going somewhere, or I don't want the kids to be rude to our guests. But I did learn, on that very first day, I am not as addicted to facebook as I thought I was. I really didn't think about it at all. Once it was deactivated and I made the decision to stop checking it, it really wasn't hard to do so, I hardly ever think about it.
I am much more addicted (if that's the right word) to the tv, not for me, for the kids. I actually found myself thinking about how nice it would be for ME if the kids sat down and watched a show, I realized that the tv time and the video game time we usually did in the afternoon was MY break as well and I relied in it as much as they did (if not more so). Well, that was a wake up call for sure. Maybe it was me who got them "addicted" in the first place. Let's face it, especially you homeschooling moms of many out there, we don't get a break, ever. We are on call 24/7. No school bus to take the back talking child away. No teachers to deal with the whiny kids(except us moms). No 8-3 break from the kids for us. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I love my role, I love my kids and I LOVE having them home with me. But, sometimes, a little quiet during the day is nice and, typically, while the 2 little boys were sleeping, the other 3 would have video game and tv time and I would have an hour of quiet. We had all become used to it, it was something we ALL felt we "needed." But, honestly, I felt like I needed it. I am the mom, if I want to say no to video games, I can. But I said yes for myself, and that was something I really needed to realize! From here on out every time I say yes to video games or a tv show or a movie, I am saying yes to my own quiet time, I am saying yes to the electronic babysitter.
So, these first two days, each time I seek for quiet time, I find my Bible and I sit with the Lord for just a couple of minutes, to remind myself that I can have peace (and quiet, maybe not literally, as I usually have little voices right outside my door whispering they need water in their cup, or they peed in their underwear, or they wondered how much is too much activity for me (the one who just had 8 stitches put in his head and is suppose to be "taking it easy") ) But He, alone, will give me rest!
I also started reading Jesus, by Beth Moore in the mornings before the kids wake up either while I am nursing the baby or, depending on her schedule, after I put her back to bed (because while she is up, it's hard to take my eyes off her). It's been a wonderful book so far that is getting me in touch with the One and Only and reminding me of His GREAT sacrifices so that mine seem so much more insignificant.
May the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. 2 Thess. 3:16

Want to join me us on our screen free challenge? I promise, it's never to late and I think it will be worth it.

No comments: