Friday, April 5, 2013

Laundry System

Years ago I read my friends blog about her laundry system, she has a large family and a lot of laundry, as do I! I needed something that worked and FINALLY decided to give this system a try. Since I started on a week when all the laundry was not caught up, the first week felt daunting, but after that first week I have really done well with keeping up with laundry. I know when it is going to get done, and laundry baskets don't seem to get to overflowing anymore! I also very rarely EVER have laundry sitting in my living room, because the most loads I ever have to do is 3 in a day (with the very rare occasional 4, which is usually the rare time when I do have a little left in the living room at the end of the day) I am able to get it all folded and put away before the end of the day. The 2 big boys put their own clothes away once it is folded!
The great thing about this system is that it can be tweaked depending on your schedule. I have mine set up so that I do the least amount of laundry on days I know we have extra things outside the home.
I started with a laundry hamper in each room, The boys room actually has a cheap kitchen style trash can that they decorated with foam stickers and Isabelle had a fancy one that came with her baby bedding set that we have kept. My room has a 3 section hamper and it is where the kids put all their dirty towels along with all of Adam and I's clothes.

Doing laundry by room:
Monday: Towels and sheets (I have crazy Mondays, so if these items got left in the dryer for a couple hours, big deal)
Tuesday: My bedroom (I have very little on Tuesday, if anything at all, and a lot of Adams clothes need hanging up, so this works well)
Wednesday: Isabelle's room (since this only requires 1 load and we often have homeschool co-op, perfect day for 1 load)
Thursday: Boys room (this requires several loads and we don't have much going on Thursdays, if anything)
Friday: Living room (this may sound silly, but I keep a basket in my living room, I very often(ok, almost always) change the to 2 little boys clothes in the living room, and we have dish towels and bibs and dirty socks and such that get thrown in there! It is usually one load, and, even though I don't have much going on fridays, I also am ready for the weekend by then, so less laundry is good for me)

This method also helps with folding and putting away since I am taking it all to the same place for each load, even better.

It works for me, maybe it will work for you too!

No comments: