Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A good start...

I meant to write Sunday to talk about how I was the day before our first day of homeschool. But didn't find the time. I meant to write Yesterday to let you know how our first day of school went, and I didn't find the time. So here I am at 6:30 in the morning on our 2nd day of of homeschool, hoping to be able to finish this blog before the kids get up.

Sunday was my birthday, so we spent time with my in laws. It didn't go exactly as planned. My father in law had been sick all day Saturday and finally my mother in law sent him to the urgent care in the late afternoon on Saturday. Sunday night he got worse, and with no official diagnosis, my mother in law convinced him to go to the ER, so we ate a quick bite of cake and everyone went their separate ways so that my in laws could go to the hospital. He ended up being admitted rather quickly with a abscess behind his tonsils, we were a little worried that it might take surgery to remove it, but with IV antibiotics and some draining of it by the ENT (Ear, Nose Throat Doctor) it was significantly decreased by Monday and he was able to go home with prescription antibiotics.

We went ahead and started school as planned Monday morning, until we heard how "Granddaddy" was doing (thankfully it was all good news). Addison was very excited and did WONDERFUL. He followed directions, he did all his work, he of course loved all the wonderful books, and he was patient with his brother and his first day of school (a big +). James, well it was his first day of school, I up until now when we read books I sort of let him bounce around a bit while we read, but one of our goals for this year is to get him to sit still for a book, I don't mind how he sits or where, but no more acrobatics while reading stories, so we have a ways to go. He also has a very small attention span, he is still 3, but we are going to expand that attention a bit this year. So James goals for the year are to be able to pay attention to anything for more than 10 minutes at a time. Addison's goal for the year is to learn how to read, already he is well on his way. My goal, to have a great time with my kids for what might be the last year I get to spend all day with them. So for, so good!

can't wait to see what today brings, but I have to say I am glad I decided to homeschool. I am having a great time with my kids and I love to see them learn and grow.

3 comments:

Grateful for Grace said...

Yea! Yea! Yea!!
Sounds like a super start and that you have very realistic and wonderful goals for your boys.

Huggging you,
GfG

Blessed Momma said...

I am glad the first day went well and I bet all the other days will just keep getting better.
Sad about your birthday though, which I feel like a horrible friend because I was going to send you a birthday wish when I realized you are exactly one month younger than me but I somehow managed to forget with a sick baby. SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY! :)

cajungal01 said...

Sounds fabulous! Congrats!
Yea You, Yea boys, Yea God!
:0)