I have always thought of myself as someone who was one time. I have never been one to be happy with being late, not anywhere. Not to appointments, not to the kids' extra curricular activities, not to families or friends houses. I like to be on time.
I have been pretty good about it up until baby #5. I was rarely late for things, only if some unexpected (usually big) thing came up as we were walking out the door, or if I forgot something at home (more likely this reason than the other, I have never thought of myself as having a good memory) and had to turn around. Not so much anymore. If I want to get somewhere on time these days, I have to tell myself I have to be there 30 minutes before the actual time, and even then, I am still walking out the door knowing I will be late. I feel badly, people were counting on me to be somewhere, at a certain time, and I'm late. Even though the oldest 2 can completely dress, brush and shoe themselves without any help, they somehow still need to reminded that they forgot shoes or they are wearing shorts in the middle of winter or their pajama shirt is still on, under their regular shirt, as we are walking out the door. Isabelle, she can mostly do things on her own, but it takes her 20 minutes just to find the perfect socks and shoes to go with her outfit that took her 30 minutes to pick out. So I often have to help if we have to leave in a hurry.
I have tried different techniques over the last (almost) 5 months.
1. getting everything I have to "remember" in the car the night before, or right in front of the door.
2. laying out everyones clothes the day/night before.
3. planning to leave 30 minutes earlier than actual time it takes to get somewhere.
But I have found it just doesn't matter, being on time for all events, all the time is a thing of the past. I am just going to have to remember that being perfect, or perfectly timely, is not the most important thing in life. I don't have to be so particular in this area. I have let go and tried not to get anxious as the time to walk out the door approaches and people still are not dressed, brushed, showered and shoed. We will work on it, and as the kids get older, I hope this little problem will work itself out, but somehow, I doubt it!
No comments:
Post a Comment