We eat a good bit of salad these days, but one thing I noticed was that lettuce did not keep long in, and especially out, of the fridge. So I started researching some ways to store lettuce longer. I found a youtube video, but tweaked it to fit my needs, because, quite frankly, I cannot spend 1 solid hour on preparing lettuce for storage.
You will need a couple plastic containers with lids. any shape but round. Doesn't matter the brand, you can even use glass if you prefer. Just anything with a lid that can go in the fridge. Water, lettuce, paper towels and a sink.
 |
| Start with however much lettuce you just bought at the store, and one cleaned side of a sink |
|
|
 |
| Sorry this pic is so bright, but cut off the ends of each head of lettuce and discard (or feed to your chickens if you have them) |
|
|
Taking the heads apart to separate as you, go submerge all the lettuce into cold water in one side of your cleaned sink, not only does this rinse the lettuce, it also makes it stay crispy longer, 2 birds, 1 stone. The directions I found said to leave it for 30 minutes, here's the secret, you can leave it for several hours. So I can do it as soon as we get home from the grocery, go about my day, and then get back to it in an hour or 2 when I have time.
 |
| Lay out the lettuce to dry on a thick layer of paper towels, or 2 or 3 large kitchen towels |
The directions I found say to dry each piece of lettuce individually with a paper towel. I often buy 3 or 4 heads at a time, so this was VERY time consuming. I lay ALL the lettuce out on paper towels or kitchen towels, and again leave it for an hour or so, it will be fine as long as you don't leave it TOO long. Sometimes I lay another towel on top, just to soak up a little more water, but it is not imperative that it be perfectly dry, a little water will not hurt it.
 |
| place a paper towel on the bottom of your container, layer a row of lettuce, another paper towel, another layer of lettuce. etc. etc |
Now layer, paper towel, lettuce (enough to fill all the space, a little overlap is totally fine), paper towel, lettuce. Compact down as you start to fill it, you can fit more than you think if you press down firmly. On your last row ( I usually fill 2 or 3 of these each time I buy lettuce, so on each last row of lettuce in that case) of lettuce add another paper towel and close the lids and put in the fridge. I promise this little step makes lettuce last a couple weeks....I know, because I have used it a couple weeks later with NO browning or wilting. After about 2 weeks it will start to brown though.
I also keep the paper towels for a few times. As long as the lettuce never went bad. I don't like to waste. so I just shove all the paper towels back in the container and use them again the next round. If I see any coloring on any of the paper towels, I throw those ones away.
Voila! Long term storage of lettuce! Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment