Saturday, March 2, 2013

Homemade Baby Wipes


 I have not always been so "Martha Stewart-y," it has been a slow process, over time, from the time I married my wonderful husband. I did not cook, I wasn't very good at keeping up with chores, I wasn't very good at holding myself accountable.
I am glad I have learned, by the grace of God, to do things better and cheaper and on a schedule. It is something I prayed for and God answered in a big way. 5 kids is alot for anyone to handle, especially someone with no real wifely skills to begin with.
It was a slow process. But I have learned several great skills that I thought I would share through the month of March. Now that we are eating real food and loving it, I thought I would share the other things we love.

Homemade babywipes

I use bounty paper towels, they are just my favorite. I know other moms who love Viva paper towels. So my first suggest is buy 1 roll of a couple different brands and decide for yourself what works best for you.

 first cut the paper towel roll in half with a serrated knife or an electric knife

 Now take the inside tube out, I usually try to slip my thumbs in between the paper towel and the tube in a few different places in multiple areas to loosen the glue from towels, then it just pulls right out.
 Then you can give them to your kids to play with until they get destroyed, or start eating it, whichever comes first.
Daniel got dibs on the paper towel rolls this time around.
Next, for the container, I use coffee containers. You can use any large round container you wish, whether it be on old wipes container that is round that you saved, or a coffee can. It just has to be able to fit a half a roll of paper towels in it.
When using bounty paper towels, I put in 1/2 a tsp of baby soap, an 1/8 tsp of olive oil and a cup of warm water in that order (honestly I don't usually measure the soap or oil, so I did measure this time to see how much I use, I just put it in until I think it's enough) give it a little shake to mix it in.
*note: I just use my favorite bath soap at that time, you really can use anything, because we are doing all natural, I try to use a liquid soap with as little ingredients as possible and with no dyes or perfumes and one that I can read all the ingredients without a dictionary. I hear alot of people say they use baby magic, but the smell of that stuff gives me a major headache and I can't imagine it is good for the kids skin.
 Stick your half rolls into the container of choice. I usually stick it in, take it out and flip it over and stick it in again  because I think it soaks up faster that way and I am usually making a new roll when I am totally out, so I'm in a hurry!
Then you can choose to cut slits in the top and pull it out that way, or take the lid off and get them out that way. I have done it both ways. When it gets down to the end of the roll, though, you usually have to open the lid.
Voila, homemade, all natural, baby wipes! Now you know what you are cleaning your child's sweet bum with!

No comments: