Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pain in the Eye!

Last week was a mess for me. I started having pain in my left eye on Monday and it was horrible, I couldn't move my eye around or it hurt. I couldn't close my eyes or it hurt, I couldn't read or it hurt, bending over put pressure on my eye, so it hurt, laying down hurt. I was pretty much confined to sitting looking straight ahead at nothing at all. By Thursday it was real bad, I didn't' sleep much Thursday night, between my eye, Isabelle and James' runny nose keeping him up I got only a few hours of good sleep. I woke up Friday morning and my eye was red all over, not around it, but in it. I decided it was time to go to the doctor.
First I went to my Primary Care Physician, kids in tow, they first told me it was Pink Eye...I knew it wasn't so then they thought it was sinus pressure and I should take Aleve twice a day. That was all I got from them. I wasn't satisfied, I just knew that it was something more. I have never had sinus pressure, but for some reason I was just sure that was not what it was.
Off to the eye doctor I went, unsure of what to expect. My wonderful mother in law kept the kids for me. I was very appreciative of that. They looked in both my eyes and said..."When was the last time you went to the eye doctor?" I said oh maybe "3 years ago."
"Did they see anything?"
"Except that I have poor vision, no nothing."
"Well, your left eye is episcleritis, no big deal, I'll get you some steroid drops and you should feel better in a few days. You right eye is what is interesting to me, behind you Iris is what looks just like a cyst. I can't see it because it is behind your Iris, but I am 99% sure it is a cyst from what I can see. I'd like you to have an ultrasound to get a better picture of it to be sure."
"What do you do with a cyst?"
"Nothing."
"What else could it be?"
"A tumor or cancer, but I don't think that it is"

So I went in to fix my left eye's pain and came out more worried about my right eye. I'm not nervous, I was a little at first, but the doctor assured me that he thinks it is nothing, but would feel better if I was able to get a good picture to be sure. I mean a cyst isn't nothing, but they do nothing about it, so that is a better scenario. I believe that God has it in his hands. I will be fine, my eye will be fine. Just another thing to add to my list of life's lessons. I'm not sure when my "High Resolution Ultrasound of the Iris" will be, most likely not until October, as it is a long waiting list.

No comments: