Thursday, January 10, 2013

A day in the life..(day 1)

A friend, and fellow homeschooling mom of many more years than me, Grateful for Grace. , has been doing a link up of a day in the life of a homeschooling family. I am joining in on day 3. She is doing 10 days, I have decided to just do a couple, since I am joining in a bit late. Her hope, and mine, is that people can see that homeschooling is not glamorous, or perfect, or easy. It is a calling from the Lord, and it is something that needs to be prayed about daily.
So here goes yesterdays day...
6:00am- Wake, shower, dress for the day

6:20- as I head out of the bathroom, Daniel is crying, so I get him up so he doesn't wake the other 3 boys who share a room with him, wake Hubby, make coffee, let dogs out and feed Daniel.

6:40- Hubby leaves for work with his coffee. I get on facebok , laugh at Daniel running around the house saying "hi." not sure who he is speaking to, but it is cute. Drink my coffee

7:00- the other 3 boys come bounding upstairs. 2 want to watch TV (not allowed on a school day. still recovering from Christmas break). 1 declares he's hungry (which he does every single day without fail)

7:05- eat cereal

7:10- change 1st dirty diaper of the day, Daniels

7:24- as boys finish breakfast(clean their spots and go to get dressed), Isabelle's heads down the stairs and eats breakfast.

7:30- change 2nd dirty diaper, Philips

7:31- realize big boys are still not dressed. Tell them to get moving and quit playing. they tell me Daniel took a swim in the dog water bowl. Lovely.

7:38- Addison and James are dressed and brushed. They do meal chores as Isabelle heads up to get ready for the day. I try to unpack a few things from our vacation this past weekend and start a load of laundry.

7:40- Daniel is on the dining table and Philip is under while the boys are trying to do meal chores. relocate little ones.

7:54- Addison and James do Math-U-See. I do language with Isabelle (Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading)

8:05- James finishes his math and goes to play with the little boys while I continue with Isabelle

8:20- start All About Spelling (AAS) with James, then Addison while Isabelle does her developing the Early Learner workbook.

8:30- Isabelle finishes and joins the little boys upstairs.

8:38- James reads while I finish AAS with Addison

8:45- Daniel gets into the dog water bowl...again. While I'm up I rotate laundry

8:55- Start Mystery of History

9:15- short break for me. I need to eat some breakfast. Addison reads. Before I can even start. I hear an argument. Took care of the problem and Changed dirty diaper #3, Philips

9:38- Addison finishes reading. both give me a narration of the pages they read today.

9:41- Science quiz (Answers in Genesis) to end our leaves unit.

9:45- While the boys do their quiz, I go to collect more laundry and  find Daniel and Philip have found the wrapping paper and unrolled it all. Lovely. They help clean it up, have a stearn talking to about not getting into the closets and making a mess. I collect the laundry and start it.

10:10- Addison finishes quiz and plays captain America with Philip while James finishes up.

10:25- I am able to fold AND put away 2 loads of laundry...impressive for me. Everyone else spidermans down the stairs so we can correct quizzes.

10:45- Isabelle makes everyone "tea" while I do Writing with Ease(WWE) with Addison and James. Straight into First Language Lessons (FLL) with both.

11:20- Bible and Daniel down for an early nap since we have co-op today and it will be right at his usual nap time.

11:45- Finish school for the day. I get on the computer to try to find a last minute, cheap social day for our co-op to do next week.

12:00- still no plans. I make lunch. Daniel wakes, far earlier then I wanted him to and is a grump.

12:05- do dishes, load car with homeschool co-op materials (I am teaching a woodworking class this semester)

12:15- kids finish lunch. Addison and James do meal chores. They are very excited about co-op so they are a little wild. I send them outside to play(finally have a nice, dry day) until it is time to leave.

12:30- I clean up the kitchen and have everything done to be ready for co-op. what shall I do with this "free time" even though I could probably get another load of laundry done, a bathroom cleaned, the living room vacuumed...etc. I knit.

1:00- leave for co-op

4:30- return home. change dirty diaper #4 and his clothes. thank you for saving that for the car buddy.

4:40- I put on a show for the kids while I prep dinner

5:00- potatoes in the oven. unload dishwasher and reload.

5:50- dinner. Adam comes home a few minutes after we sit down to eat.


That's our day!

1 comment:

Grateful for Grace said...

Oh, how precious to me to read about you dear family! Just love this peek!

You are doing such a great job!

Woodworking, huh? Impressive.

I can't wait to show this to the kids in the morning. :)

Thanks for joining in!