I am embarking on a new journey in my life. To change my health and the health of my family. I wouldn't say that we are unhealthy, but we certainly have become all too accustomed to this processed generation and quite frankly I think it is making me sick. My story begins several years ago...
I started getting a condition called episcleritis and iritis (basically the same thing, but one is less severe and 1 is more severe, if I waited to go to the doc it ALWAYS turned into iritis). The first time I got it I went to the ophthalmologist who gave me some medication and told me not only do I have iritis in one eye, but in my other eye I have a cyst. I had it checked out, but it was not life threatening and they said it will likely go away on it's own.
The next time I got iritis, which was about 6-8 months later, I went to the ophthalmologist , who again gave me some medication and this time told me that if I got it again he would refer me to a rheumatologist t for more testing because, often, iritis is associated with autoimmune diseases. I continued to get iritis off and on over the next several years, but decided not to see a specialist...mainly because I was afraid of what they might say.
Another issue that I have suffered with for years and years is eczema. It started shortly after my 2nd child was born almost 8 years ago. I have been treating it with topical creams, avoiding dyes and perfumes in virtually every product I use and trying to keep it under control as much as possible.
I finally went to my primary care provider to talk to her about my health in general. She ran some blood work and what she found was that my body was attacking itself, specifically my thyroid. Another common autoimmune issue. I went to an rheumatologist for more labs and was basically told that until my body finally causes my thyroid to stop working their was nothing they could do. What an answer, just sit around your house, knowing that any moment my thyroid could stop functioning and I could be totally wiped out on a couch with 5 kids to teach and care for, a house to be maintained and other duties that I would not be able to fulfill from the couch...AND the thyroid medicine takes 30 days to fully start working, IF they find the right dose the first time. Unacceptable.
I just didn't want to stand for that. At first, I had to let it all sink in, But about a month ago I decided to start looking into things myself. I decided to take my health into my own hands. And that is where I am today. Ready to face this monster myself. I have already quit drinking soda altogether, knowing that I needed to cut down on my sugar intake. Tomorrow is the day that I will go shopping to begin a new lifestyle. a new way of life for my family and I. My prayer is that the Lord put into place certain foods in this world to keep us from getting sick, to keep the body healthy, to allow the body to heal itself, and I intend to start eating those foods to promote good health inside my own body.
I don't know if this will work, but I plan to document my health. Document the results of my tests that I will go back for in a month or so. I will come back tomorrow with my first day of food. whole food, real food. Food that I could, if I had the space and the money, raise/grow outside and bring in to prepare for my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment