I have been praying for almost a year that I would get the opportunity to homeschool my children. I do activities and stories and work with them anyway, but I want to REALLY homeschool my children. My husband, whom I love and respect dearly, has not been in that same place that I am in. I understand his position and respect, which is why I never really push the issue.
My 4 year old started preschool at a wonderful Christian School (which my husband also works at as an 8th grade science teacher) two days a week this school year. He loves it and has learned quite a bit. Our plan was to send our oldest to preschool again next year and for 5 days a week and our (soon to be) three year old 3 days a week. Well you have to *fully* potty trained in order to go to preschool, our oldest was ready at 2.5 and it took him 3 days and he was totally potty trained, it was all his idea and it truly had nothing to do with me. But my (soon to be) 3-year-old is not at all the same child. He is not potty trained and even if I were to try it will probably take months. Besides being potty trained he can't sit through an entire story yet or watch an entire show on TV. He just is not ready. So we decided that he will not be going to school next year (to my delight because I didn't really want either of them to go).
So I thought it was a great opportunity to bring up to my wonderful hubby, HOMESCHOOLING! I asked him if I could get a pre-K curriculum for my sweet little (soon to be) three-year-old since he wasn't going to be going to school, but we had budgeted for it, and it would be *lots* cheaper. I will use 1 month of what I would have spent for him to GO to preschool and use that to buy the entire year of curriculum.
I am so excited because I think this might help my wonderful hubby to see that children can be socialized and be homeschooled. Like I said, I understand where he is coming from, he has had A LOT of experience with homeschool kids through his school and college and neighbors growing up. He has seen a few (I really do mean a few) really great examples of GOOD homeschooling and alot of examples that are really not so good. I've seen a few of those same examples but truly feel that I have researched enough to know about co-ops and groups and sports and friends that my children would get the opportunity to hang around.
I don't' want people to think my husband is wrong for his decision, he is a wonderful husband and great father. He has had his life experiences to help him make the decision and I FULLY support that decision and am just glad that I get the opportunity to teach my (soon to be) three-year-old for one year. If this is the only time I ever get to homeschool I will still be thankful for the opportunity.
3 comments:
That is great that you will get that opportunity. Isabelle is not great at doing that stuff with me so I am hoping preschool will help her. When its her and I it has to be all her idea! But she is finally willing to let me teach her a little and is loving learning about letters! Keep me updated on how it all goes!
Oh!! What a wonderful way for God to bring homeschooling into you life!! I'm thrilled for you, M!! What curric are you going to use? Praising God with you and praying it all goes well... for however long it is a part of your family life.
hugs!
I admire you so much! I think this is wonderful. I work in the public school system and it is a little scary! Hats off to you:)
Post a Comment