Sunday, September 20, 2009

Words in Red-Matthew

I have had a great time reading through Matthew this week. I guess I've never really sat down and read through an entire book word for word just to see what it says. Usually it's a chapter of a book, or parable Jesus said, but never the entire thing just to see what it says. It's been alot of fun and I certainly have learned a ton from it.

Here is what I learned, and got, from reading through Matthew

1. Jesus temptations. Satan was able to quote scripture to try to get Jesus to do something he should not, and Jesus always replied back with scripture. It made me think of cults using scripture to get the followers to do something, yet leaving out other scripture that may go against it, or explain it in further detail. I enjoyed seeing that and it helped remind me to keep scripture in my heart at all times and always learn more so as to smash Satan whenever needed.

2. Retaliation: I guess this is good for me b/c I am bad about wanting to get even, or wanting to defend myself when others do things to me, or make them feel just as bad as I felt. I knew this particular passage b/c of some things that happened with us years ago when working at a Boys Home. "...if someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. and if someone wants to sue you for your tunic, let him have your cloak as well." (5:39-40) It was a pleasant reminder to keep my often defensive behavior in check and to allow God to be the defense. The very next section about loving your enemies goes along with that as well.

3. I really like when Jesus said in Matthew 19:23 "...I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through he eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." We will never have a lot of money and it's nice to know that even those with very little here on earth can have so very much in Him.

It's been a great experience to read Matthew. I can't wait for Mark. This has helped keep me in the word and even given me some wisdom for things that pertain to my life right now. Isn't it great what the Lord can do when you listen to and trust in him.

Hope anyone reading this has been able to join me. Let me know what you learned from Matthew and go to www.gratefulforgrace.blogspot.com to see what she thought of Matthew.

1 comment:

Grateful for Grace said...

Oh, Megan! These verses all stood out to me too! Matthew was super great to read.

Like you said, it's really totally different to read straight through a book of the Bible. It really has given me a feel for Jesus' teachings in a stronger way instead of 'bites' here and there.

I'm glad you are being blessed by it. I'm not surprise though. Since it's the only book whose Author is present each time you read it.

hugs o'plenty,
M