Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 22: Whole Foods Diet

Preparation was the hardest thing for me going into this new lifestyle. I thought it would take me months to get used to it. With 5 kids, homeschooling all morning, laundry, dishes, sweeping, mopping, dirty-boy bathrooms and all the other things I had already on my daily list of things to do, I thought it would take me a long time to get used to adding preparation for every meal to my plate. But, I seem to be doing much better at it already.
Last night I made extra bacon, knowing I would need it this morning for our omelets, crushed them up and put them in the fridge. I had a bunch of things to chop for the salad last night, so while I was chopping those things, I also chopped bell peppers and onions and spinach for today's omelet breakfast.
As I do every day, I get up at the same time as my husband. I make coffee, check emails and facebook, empty the dishwasher, let the dogs out. All while he showers and dresses for his day at work. I make his cup of joe to go and kiss him goodbye. This morning, knowing I needed to get started right away on omelets, I made Adam one too. I was happy to serve him in this way. I am thankful to have such a hard-working husband. Later that day he texted to me to tell me how much he appreciated the meal, that it started his day of right. I sure do love that man!
 In each omelet was cheese, bacon, onion spinach and red bell pepper. I had some leftover pears from last night and some other fruits that I put on each plate, as well as some plain organic yogurt. They could choose to add vanilla flavor if they wanted it. If they finished their food and were still hungry they could choose a fruit. most of them had an apple, Philip chose a banana. It was a successful breakfast and they are already talking about the next time we have omelets! It took a little extra time on my part this morning, I got up and started right away, I probably could have made them the night before, but I was tired! At least I had the stuff for the inside all ready to go, all I had to do was scramble up the eggs.

I forgot to buy more honey at the store the other day, I realized after I got home, we still have enough to sweeten oatmeal for the rest of the week, and I will have enough to make granola 1 more time, but not enough to make bread. I am glad I bought a loaf at the store because a couple of the kids have really been wanting a good ol' fashioned pb&j. I have been trying not to do too  much bread items because it is VERY hard to find bread at the store without all those extra ingredients. I don't want my kids to feel deprived, or like we are taking foods away from them, with this new diet, I want them to learn what "food" really is and to eat things that God intended for them to eat. wheats, flours, honeys, fruits, veggies and meats all fit into that category, but all that other stuff is new to this generation. I am not sure what happened to our food over the last 60 or 70 years, but I wonder what it is really doing to our health!?
 
this is a photo of the ingredients from the bread I ended up choosing to go with. What are all those things? what happened to water, flour, salt, a sweetener of choice and yeast?

So for lunch everyone got a half a pb&j with real peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam. Triscuits with cheese, carrots, cucumbers, oranges, a variety of nuts and some pineapple chunks.

One thing I have noticed with the two little ones after having bread, or sandwiches, is that they have more bloating in their tummies. It has been an interesting observation. Not sure what it is about, but thought I would share the observation.

I also decided to cancel my ct scan and other diagnostics for now. We have to meet a deductible to do them and I am just unwilling to pay that amount of money for something that is not a medical emergency right now. So for now, I will have blood in my urine with no explanation. I am ok with that.

Dinner was lasagna, I was going to make the cream of mushroom for the filling, but I forgot a key ingredient at the store, so I decided to just use the can I still had sitting in the pantry. I chose not to even look at the ingredients...I knew they weren't going to be good. But everything else was good. Ground Venison was the filling, definitely less fattening than ground beef, and we got it really cheap. Organic pasta sauce along with sauteed mushrooms and the leftover peppers and onions from this mornings omelets. I also used whole wheat noodles. The entire platter got eaten up, this is one of my kids favorite dishes. I am glad that I can give it to them, but make it healthy (minus the cream of mushroom, next time that will be better)!

1 comment:

Blessed Momma said...

Those omelets sure look good! I have enjoyed reading your journey so far with whole and natural foods! :)