Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 2: Whole Foods Diet

I had to get up a little extra early this morning because Adam has a great opportunity to sit in on the classes of a well known school in our area. They have some different styles of teaching that he could use in his classroom and I hope he can give me some great ideas for our home class rooms. I was really excited for him and have been on my toes all day waiting to hear how his day was.

So, I got to sit and enjoy my coffee (with almond milk and Agave Nectar. yum) a few extra minutes in silence this morning, Listening to the wind blow the wind chimes outside, answering emails and knitting. It was a peaceful morning and it really revved me up for the day today.

Breakfast went better than I hoped. Not everyone was a fan of the granola, but it got eaten. Addison liked his in Almond milk, but not in yogurt, James liked his in almond milk as well. Philip had oatmeal with honey and agave nectar and ate almost all of it (no more brown sugar, aren't you proud?) Isabelle chose not to eat....as usual. She is going to be the toughest at breakfast to convert, she already is not a big breakfast fan, so getting her to eat something other than sugary cereals will be a task.
I had my granola with yogurt and raisins along with a large cup of water to get my fluids going and help get my blood pressure up.

I put together a few zipper bags of  fruit for smoothies, one less step I have to take to make a meal, or a snack. For a family of seven, that is going to be a key component in getting this diet to stick.

I decided to do a snack today. The thing about snacks is I have never been big on them. I think it "ruins" the meal. But, now that everything we put into our body has nutritional value, I think I can relax on that a little. So we had avocados on triscuits. almonds, pistachios and sunflower seeds...a nice little medley so I can see what kinds of things they enjoy. I loved it all...even the avocado. Most of them did not like the avocado, but when on a cracker they ate it. They more than loved everything else!

Lunch was mostly leftover dinner from last night, I added fresh fruits and veggies to each plate as well. I am learning that this way of life is going to make spend more time in the kitchen, I am sure that will lesson as I learn how I can prepare things ahead of time and find meals that require little to no effort to prepare, but for now, I have spent 2 days in the kitchen. cooking and cleaning.

Smoothies was our afternoon snack. Yes. From the earlier prepared fruit I made.

Chicken enchiladas for dinner. I found the recipe at 100 days of real food and tweaked it slightly to fit my large family. I also made a nice green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots and some cantaloupe.   The kids seemed to actually enjoy it. I was very impressed.

All in all day 2 was a success. I am actually really enjoying the food.

Anyone have any great whole foods recipe they want to share?

No comments: